Saturday 5 January 2013

India Photo Diary





I had the amazing opportunity to visit India for a few days before Christmas. I have dreamt of visiting India for many years, as I have always been fascinated by Indian culture and its rich history. It was my first trip to India and visiting the Taj Mahal was on top of my list. There are so many places in India that are worth visiting, but for my first trip, I chose Udaipur, Delhi and Agra. I chose Udaipur mainly because I wanted to stay at the Taj Lake Palace - this beautiful hotel is in the middle of lake! The hotel was built around 1743 as a royal summer palace. During the day, we explored the old town. Narrow streets were filled with street vendors and cows. Many houses were painted in bright colours and decorated with beautiful Hindu motifs. The city palace is also worth a visit, as it was built on a hilltop - it gives a panoramic view of the city. After two nights in Udaipur, we flew back to Delhi. We went to Agra the next day and visited the Taj Mahal. As soon as I caught a glimpse of it through one of its majestic gates, I had this overwhelming feeling – it was truly unbelievable. I have read the story about the Taj Mahal many years ago and have longed to visit it ever since. Visiting the Taj Mahal was the perfect ending for this short but perfect first trip to India. 

Food wise, we had Indian food for both lunch and dinner. Before the trip, I was eager to try the infamous street food of India, though when we got there we were strongly advised not to. Alas, we settled for the restaurants in our hotels - which did not disappoint (except for the spice level - I would always request very spicy but none came out spicy at all!). My favourite meal was at the Jamavar in the Leela Palace hotel, Delhi. Every single dish was cooked to perfection and it is by far the best Indian food I have ever tasted! -V

No comments:

Post a Comment